Thursday, May 9, 2013

Coco-nutty Granola anyone?

I can't believe it's nearly halfway through May. I feel like I'm just settling into 'how' to study again, & they are talking exams! My first exam is in one month, & before exams I have essays, an oral presentation, a scientific poster, chem pracs, biology pracs, online tests, plus 3 more weeks of lectures (so much information to process)! Trying to do subjects without that Year 12 background is challenging to say the least, It will be an interesting month ahead!!
To help me have healthy easy snacks when I'm studying, I try to plan ahead. One of my current favourite snacks is fruit, greek yoghurt, and Coco-nutty Granola! If anyone has read any of Sarah Wilson's stuff you will have heard of her Coco-nutty Granola. There are also few different recipes around on the internet, & they are all pretty easy to adapt to ingredients that you like ! To see Sarah's recipe go here;

http://www.sarahwilson.com.au/2012/08/sugar-free-granola-the-most-popular-recipe-from-my-cookbook/

or get her I quit sugar cookbook (It's $22 in Big W). Here is my version, it's a bit simpler, as I find I don't tolerate seeds very well , so I leave out pepita seeds, chia seeds etc.

2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
3/4 cup coconut flakes
3/4 cup shredded coconut
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup almonds ( chopped roughly)

Optional - I tablespoon rice malt syrup. ( I don't add this, it is pretty yummy without it!)

Preheat oven to 120 deg, mix all ingredients in a bowl, spread evenly onto a baking paper lined tray. Bake for around 20 mins, until golden. Stir halfway.
Remove from oven & cool immediately.

Sarah's recipe is for a larger quantity, but the above amount is a good tester size.
Feel free to add some pepitas, chia seeds, more or less cinnamon etc as to your liking! If I make a double batch it takes about 30mins & you do need to stir every 10 mins to keep it cooking evenly!
I get the coconut flakes online from Organic road, ( www.organicroad.com.au/ ) or you can usually get them from Health food shops, using the big flakes are perfect in this recipe, (sarah uses just flakes, I use a mix of flakes & shredded coconut, just to make the flakes go a bit further).
The granola is delicious on stewed apples, with a little whipped cream or yogurt!

I have also made a variation on Sarah's choc/coconut/protein balls, & raspberry ripe, which I will share soon, these are my 'healthy' chocolate replacements, I love them so much more than chocolate now!

Hope you all have a great weekend, & a happy Mothers Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment